Your Ad Here

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Traffic Shaping appliance?

I am trying to sort through sourceforge to find what I'm looking for, but it's hard to say whether all these programs actually do what I want - so I'll take a chance and see if anyone here can suggest a specific program.

What I'm trying to do is find a program that I can install on a computer with two NIC's. I want to put this computer between a network appliance, and a server (man in the middle), and limit the bandwidth between the two to simulate a limited WAN connection. Ideally I could simulate Synchronous/Asynchronous speeds as low as 1mbps/512kbps. Perhaps there's a program out there that can do this, and even simulate packet loss of a certain percentage?

The application is to test IP cameras and our software internally against low bandwidth and perhaps even unreliable WAN connections.

Now that I think about it more, I suppose I could do this with a Linksys WRT54G flashed with one of those alternate OS's that provide more flexibility, but I would prefer not to have to do any routing. Maybe someone knows whether you can traffic shape switched frames with cracked linksys routers and not just routed LAN -> WAN packets?

Read More...
Your Ad Here

No comments: